Penalties deny Poppies FA Cup progress

Bournemouth FC were sadly defeated 5:4 on penalties after the game ended 1:1 at full time on Tuesday evening during the FA Cup tie with Basingstoke Town FC which was played at the Rivermoor Stadium, the home of Reading City FC.

The Poppies faced a tough and enduring first half chasing “The Stokes” with a life line thrown following a foul which saw Basingstoke’s striker barged to the ground in the penalty box, the referee had no choice but to issue a yellow card. Basingstoke Town missed the penalty hitting the cross bar and the ball deflected out of play. Poppies managed to hold on till half time which ended 0:0.

It must have been the managers half time talk which spurred Bournemouth FC into a strong start in the second half. Poppies made an early change upfront with striker Liam House being replaced by Martin Warren. With sustained possession being retained by Bournemouth and now Basingstoke on the back foot a lovely threw ball was played to Jamie Wilson on the right side of the 18 yrd box turning “The Stokes” defence inside out. Jamie Wilson calmly placed the ball in the back of the net to make it 0:1 to Poppies on 60 minutes.

Poppies then missed a golden opportunity on 70 mins to finish the game off when striker Martin Warren was one on one with Basingstoke’s keeper however the finish was not clinical enough with the shot placed directly at the keeper who made that all important save to rescue the game for his side.

Bournemouth continued to display a better performance but Basingstoke looked sharp and fit when attacking. On 81 minutes Basingstoke equalised through Adam Everiss with a 25 yrd strike which hit the inside of the post beating Poppies keeper Kacper Kowalczyk and deflecting into the net. The game was now tied at 1:1.

Excitement grew within the ground following the 200 spectator attendance. Basingstoke piled on the pressure dominating the closing stages of the game but Bouremouth’s defence was strong and organised allowing no shots on target for “The Stokes”. With little injury time played the final whistle went ending 1:1.

Extra time was not an option for this FA Cup fixture so the game was to be decided on penalties and it was now down to the goal keepers to make a name for themselves.

Poppies started off the shoot out with Lewis Harvey taking a composed penalty to make it 0:1 to Bournemouth. Some text book penalties followed by Poppies but Basingstoke equalised every time up to 4:4.

Bournemouth’s captain Jamie Wilson stepped up for the 5th penalty of the shoot out however a well placed shot to the bottom left side of the goal was saved by their keeper. Basingstoke’s goal scorer Adam Everiss then secured a successful 5th penalty putting “The Stokes” through to the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup where they will face Chichester City FC.

With Poppies clearly deflated by the result as they watched Basingstoke Town’s celebrations on the pitch after the game their performance and work ethic should be a positive to take away against a side from the Southern League.

The spirit and determination of Bournemouth FC’s squad will be sure to put this fixture behind them as they move onto Saturday’s first league game of the 2020/21 season away to Horndean FC who were also defeated 2:1 to Wessex Division 1 side Bemerton Heath Harlequins in the FA Cup on Tuesday evening.