Poppies downed at Hamble in five-goal thriller

Report by Carlo Simone (@CSimoneJourno)

Poppies’ top four hopes were dented after defeat at Hamble Club on Saturday.

In a game that was full of interruption due to niggly fouls throughout, Hamble were the more clinical side.

Poppies were guilty of spurning great chances in both halves which may have turned the game in their favour.

River Smith had equalised after the home side had gone ahead in the fourth minute.

However, the Monks took the lead again before the interval.

In the second half they extended their lead late on, and despite an even later own goal Bournemouth couldn’t draw level.

Bournemouth had gone into the game looking to bounce back from Tuesday night’s defeat to Tadley Calleva.

However, they made a poor start as Ryan Wilkins was allowed a free header from a corner to put Hamble in front in the fifth minute.

Hamble then tried their luck from distance a couple of times, as Owen Fee’s effort was held by Jones, and Barry Mason’s strike went just over the crossbar.

This shook the Poppies to life as they managed to equalise in the 11th minute.

The ball was played across the penalty area to Smith, who had no mistake and lashed in from close range.

Bournemouth were now in the ascendancy as Saadi’s mazy run into the area saw him crowded out, whilst Smith was close to doubling his efforts as his shot across goal went wide.

Smith then went so close to edging Bournemouth ahead on 22 minutes. He was found in the penalty area, and on the turn he smacked his shot against the post.

Hamble then made Poppies pay for that missed opportunity as they re-took the lead on 32 minutes.

Mason fed Fee into the area with a well-weighted pass, and the midfielder made no mistake with his left-footed strike.

Dom Falco then tried his best to get Bournemouth on level terms again, but his powerful low effort was held by Hamble goalkeeper Anderson.

Falco then played a superb cross-field ball to Smith as he was running into the area, but he agonisingly shot wide.

Then it was half-time, and Bournemouth came out of the blocks determined to equalise.

Shiv Roushbaini forced Anderson into a diving save which his 25 yard attempt, whilst Smith couldn’t beat Anderson from 10 yards after Falco had touched down a long ball for him.

Poppies then somehow didn’t equalise on 59 minutes.

Anderson had come out of his goal to clear a through ball, which he could only clear against Smith.

The ball then came out to Roushbaini, who cleverly played it out to the onrushing Saadi on his left.

Instead of shooting, Saadi squared it to Smith who was six yards out and with Anderson still retreating. However, Hamble defender Calvin Moses incredibly managed to clear it off the line.

After this point the game became full of niggly fouls which disrupted Bournemouth’s hold on the chances.

Anderson was still called into action to deny Falco’s half-volley, and he was also able to comfortably claim an attempted chip from substitute Nasim Meddah.

Falco once again tried his luck, but Anderson was equal to his high turn and shot once again.

Hamble then made Bournemouth pay for their wastefulness as Fee did well to stay ahead of his man on the counter to run through and lift his effort over Jones.

Bournemouth still pressed and were given brief hope as Moses sliced a cross into his own net deep into added time.

However, the full-time whistle blew moments later in what was a disappointing result for the Poppies.

Start a Conversation