Five star Poppies rout Bemerton Heath Harlequins

Report from Carlo Simone (@CSimoneJourno) at Victoria Park

Bournemouth bounced back from Tuesday night’s 4-1 defeat to Bashley by thrashing Bemerton Heath Harlequins in an entertaining encounter which featured six goals and three red cards.

A River Smith strike sandwiched in between two goals from Steve Flynn set the Poppies on their way in the first half, and whilst Bemerton got a goal back early in the second half, a further two goals from Dom Falco put a gloss on the scoreline.

Bournemouth started off very strongly, as a through ball from Harry Cooper played in Dom Falco, whose shot was saved by Matty Fredericks. The offside flag would have denied him anyway.

Falco had another chance a few minutes later as a defensive clearance played him in on the right-hand side, but his effort across goal was stopped by Fredericks’ outstretched leg.

The Poppies then had the ball in the back of the net, as an outside-of-the-foot pass from Fawzi Saadi found Steve Flynn in the box, and he rounded Fredericks to put it in. However, the offside flag was raised again.

The next time Flynn found the net, the goal stood. On 19 minutes a Ron Frost free-kick found the striker’s head, and he nodded in off the post.

Bournemouth, then imbued with further confidence, started to play some really intricate passing football, as well as completely nullifying Bemerton’s attacks.

Just 10 minutes after the first goal, a second followed, Saadi ran at goal and was tackled, but the ball fell nicely for River Smith who lashed it into the top corner from just outside the area.

Falco then had yet another opportunity to add his name to the scoresheet, but when the ball was worked over to him on the right-hand side, he could only fire straight at Fredericks.

The final chance of the half came to River Smith, whose long-range strike flashed just wide of the near post.

The 3-0 scoreline at half-time was no less than what Bournemouth deserved, but it was the Harlequins who came out fighting in the second half.

On 54 minutes a free-kick was headed onto the bar by the captain Scott Hassell, which then appeared to rebound off Sam Jones and over the line.

However, Bemerton undid their good work just a minute later as Jake Burgess was sent off for a late challenge.

That made Bournemouth’s task significantly easier, and they made the Harlequins pay just five minutes later.

Falco finally got past Fredericks, as he was slipped in and he finished low past the goalkeeper’s left-hand side.

The deteriorating weather then made it difficult for both sides to fashion chances, but Falco added his second in the 69th minute, as he converted from a Saadi cross.

Bemerton were close to adding a second in the last five minutes as Robbie Owen was played through on goal, but fortunately for Bournemouth he hit the side-netting.

River Smith then forced Fredericks into a diving save to deny his powerful strike.

The final action of the game was unfortunately not pleasant as Bemerton’s Robert Bladley and Bournemouth substitute Shiv Roushbaiani were sent off for scuffle.

The referee then blew the full time whistle a couple of minutes later, to confirm a comprehensive victory for Bournemouth and a return to winning ways.

Start a Conversation