Eight goal thriller sees Bournemouth suffer heavy defeat to Hamworthy

It was an evening to forget for the Poppies as they suffered a 6-2 heavy defeat to Hamworthy United in the Wessex Premier Division.

Despite two goals for Bournemouth coming from Ali Zintany and Stepan Neronski, it was not enough to overturn the six goals from the hosts.

The Hammers kicked off the match and started strongly winning themselves a corner in the first minute of the game however the Poppies were able to quickly counter attack.

Bournemouth Poppies did start the game strongly and an inviting cross by Harry Cooper allowed an ambitious bicycle kick which landed left of the goal.

A poor defensive clearance from Hamworthy almost gave the visitors the chance to open the scoring in the 8th minute as the captain Fawzi Saadi fired a shot wide of the right post.

It started a very open match and thankfully Chris Speers was on alert after the opposition forward drove past three or four defenders almost presenting himself with a chance on goal.

There was almost a contending goal of the season if it wasn’t for the linesman. A set-piece delivered in by Fawzi from the halfway line was drilled into the box, chested down and volleyed into the top left corner, but the linesman waved it offside.

Luke Stone almost broke the deadlock against his former club in the 18th minute, but Sam Jones was the man of the moment to deny with a great save.

Second time lucky for Stone when a lovely through ball from Mickey Finch gave him a one on one opportunity to score and he did exactly that placing it into the bottom left corner.

Only four minutes later in the 25th minute Stone found himself on the scoresheet again. It was another through ball played to him but this time down the right and he slots it past Jones in goal again.

The first half drew a dramatic close as almost everything possible on the pitch happened within the space of three or four minutes.

Firstly Charlie Langston got spoken to by the referee and received a yellow after what looked like backlash.

As a result of the stoppage in play the Hammers had a free-kick near the half-way line, it was sent in and Mark Jamison found his head on it in front of Sam Jones and nodded it in to make it 3-1.

Only a minute later at the other end the Poppies were awarded a penalty for a nasty tackle in the box, Ali Zintany stood up to the penalty and perfectly placed it into the bottom right corner despite the keeper diving the right way.

The half-time whistle was blown only seconds after the restart and it looks as if Bournemouth have been given a potential lifeline back into the game on the stroke of half-time, however it was Hamworthy who looked much the stronger side.

It was a promising start to the second half and within the first five minutes the Poppies looked the better side, but they needed a more clinical final ball to break back into the game.

The Poppies made their first change of the game in the 50th minute with Pepe Smith coming on to replace Ali Zintany. However his first involvement saw a shot aimed nearer the corner flag than the goal.

Another close chance fell the way of the Poppies in the 55th minute as a corner swung in by the captain was headed on the cross bar and out for a goal kick.

With just over twenty minutes left of the game the Poppies got another goal back and it was game on. A lovely through ball from Aziz gave Makloufi a chance to beat the defenders on the right which allowed him to pass it across the goaline for a simple tap in for Neronski.

Only five minutes later in the 75th minute the Hammers found themselves extending their lead. It was a beautiful solo goal from Bayston as he lifted the ball over one defender and worked his way past another two before finishing.

Despite looking the better side in the second half, it was Hamworthy who scored again. Stone completed his hat-trick in style with a low driven shot into the bottom right corner.

Makloufi looked for a consolation goal minutes later but he’s powerful shot at the keeper was saved and went out for a corner, which came to nothing.

It was almost time for the full-time whistle but that couldn’t stop the Poppies from conceding again, this time the Hamworthy substitute Brandon Randall found himself with an open net and tapped it in for the 6th goal.

Moments after the restart the referee blew the whistle on a very miserable night for Bournemouth Poppies.

They came out in the second half looking like a different side and despite dominating the majority of the second half they weren’t clinical enough to put names on the scoresheet and then paid the price at the back.

STARTING XI: Jones, Aldahayan, Langston, Spears, Ohameje, Zintany, Makhloufi, Cooper, Smith, Saadi (C), Neronski

SUBS: Smith, Roushbiani, Cullen, Khider, Westley

Referee: Brian White



Start a Conversation