Poppies checkmate to leave Calleva in ruins

Bournemouth FC aims high on the Wessex Premier League after beating Tadley Calleva 4-1.


Pictures: Giancarlo Bocchetti @gianbocch23

Lucy Daniels.  The Poppies hosted Tadley Calleva in the Wessex Premier Division and having lost mid-week were looking to regain momentum in the squad. It was an exciting game with loads of chances with a few close calls and an excellent hat-trick served by Steve Flynn.


The visitors kicked off the match and started well with an early chance for Sam Hamilton who had shot at goal but the ball flew over the crossbar. 

There were only six minutes on the clock and already the Poppies managed to take the lead with Fawzi Saadi whipping in a corner and setting it up for captain, Ron Frost, to head it in at the back post.


A second corner of the game was awarded for Poppies just 10 minutes in and again was taken by Fawzi and this time it was headed into the bottom right corner by Steve Flynn which doubled the advantage very early on.

Another corner was given to the hosts and Fawzi whipped it in, allowing Ron Frost to tap it in but this time it was disallowed for being offside. The hosts were looking like big aerial threats today.

Charlie Langston tried his luck at goal from 30 yards out but unfortunately, it goes over the crossbar, the score still frozen at 2-0. A yellow card was given to Manny Ohemje after he caught the attackers legs, taking him out to the ground. The resulting free-kick came to nothing.

During the 24th minute, another corner was taken by Poppies, however this time it resulted in a scrap on the line and several players started celebrating as they were adamant it crossed the line, however, neither the Referee or Linesman awarded it and play went on.

The visitors were trying to get back into the game and Scott King attempted a diving header which went just wide of the left post.  As the half drew towards a close both Fawzi Saadi and Aaron Parfitt who were distributed yellow cards, the latter being for a studs-up challenge which gave the hosts a late free-kick.


The free-kick was whipped into the box by Fawzi and it was nodded into the bottom left corner of the net but again ruled out for being offside. Half-time shortly followed and the Poppies looked the far more dominant side and were unlikely not to be further in the lead after two disallowed goals and a scramble on the line.


The second half saw a substitution for the Poppies with Manny Ohemje coming off and being replaced by Chris Speers.


It was only two minutes into the second half when Steve Flynn found himself on the scoresheet again. Assisted by a Mickey Finch cross, he smashes a header in making the score 3-0.

Ron Frost tried to intercept the ball but takes out one of the Tadley players, rewarding himself with yet another yellow card for the team. Scott Kinge attempted a tricky bicycle kick from only a few yards out, but  he didn’t quite reach it in time despite the open net.


Sean O’Brien managed two quick saves to deny Mickey Finch as he tries to add his name to the scoresheet alongside striking partner Steve Flynn.Tadley Calleva made their first substitute of the match, taking off player Adam Alliston and bringing on Kai Parton-Edey for his clubs debut.


Another yellow card is distributed during the match to George Cameron due to harsh tackle. As a result of the break in play a scrap broke out due to the goalkeeper, Sean O’Brien taking out Steve Flynn as he tried to dribble around him just seconds before for his hat-trick but no penalty was awarded.

A double substitution was made in the 70th minute of the game to bring Stepan Neronski and Ali Zintany off and bringing on Shin Roushbianai and Harry Cooper.


Only minutes later Tadley Calleva managed to grab a consolation goal after Chris Speers miscontrolled the ball as the last defender leaving substitute Kai Parton-Edey through to score a goal on his debut.


As we hit the last ten minutes the tension picked up in the game after the visitors got one in the net. Meanwhile Steve Flynn was still looking for his hat-trick and heads a cross towards the goal but misses as it sores over the cross bar.

Steve Flynn looked to have a golden one-on-one opportunity with the keeper but was ruled offside at the half-way line. He received a yellow card after attempting the chip on the keeper and essentially kicking the ball away.


The game was deep into stoppage time but the game wasn’t over as Steve Flynn managed to beat the offside trap this time and present himself with a one on one with the keeper, where he chipped the keeper, who was off his line, from 30 yards out to complete his deserved hat-trick.

After the restart, there was barely a chance to play as the referee put the whistle to his mouth and blew the full-time whistle.

Bournemouth Poppies came out as convincing 4-1 victors over higher opposition in the league which proves that they are a side not to be taken easily.

The victory takes them up into 8th place in the table on 15 points after eight games and now above today opponents, Tadley Calleva.


Start a Conversation